What We Believe
Trinity Baptist Church believes:
THAT THE SCRIPTURES OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS are the infallible Word of God. The original manuscripts were inspired by the Holy Spirit, and therefore without error. We accept the Scriptures as being the final authority in matters relating to the faith and life of Believers (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19).
The translations to be used in the public ministry will be those which the elders deem to accurately render God’s Word into the English language. Suggested translations are the New King James Version (NKJV), the English Standard Version (ESV), the New American Standard Bible (NASB), and the New International Version (NIV).
We believe the Scriptures are to be interpreted:
- Literally – in the natural, normal sense of the words.
- Historically – understanding the historical setting.
- Grammatically – understanding the order and meaning.
- Synthetically – no part of the bible contradicts any other.
- Practically – how does this apply to me?
IN ONE GOD ETERNALLY EXISTING IN THREE CO-EQUAL PERSONS, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, each having the same attributes and perfection (Deuteronomy 6:4; 2 Corinthians 13-14).
GOD THE FATHER is sovereign over all things, providentially accomplishing His perfect will for His own glory (Ephesians 1:3-6, 11; 2:10; Daniel 4:34-37). The Father knows all things infinitely and infallibly because He has ordained them to be (Isaiah 45; 46:9-11; Romans 9:11). He has graciously revealed Himself to us so that we might know and worship Him (Genesis 3, 12; Exodus 3). The Father acts for our salvation by choosing us from eternity past, predestinating us for adoption, and sending His beloved Son to rescue us (Ephesians 1:4-5; John 3:16).
IN THE DEITY AND HUMANITY OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, His Virgin Birth, His substitutionary death for our sins, His resurrection, and that all who repent and believe in Him are justified by His shed blood. We look for his literal return to earth to deliver his people (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18), judge unbelievers (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9), and reign forever (Revelation 19:11-16).
IN THE DEITY AND PERSONALITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT Whose work is to:
- Bring conviction through the Word (Acts 2:37; John 16:7-11)
- Bring repentance. (Romans 2:4).
- Accomplish regeneration. (Titus 3:5).
- Seal unto eternal life. (Ephesians 4:20)
- Indwell the believer. (Romans 8:9)
- Give assurance to the believer. (Romans 8:16-17).
- Teach us through the Word (John 14:26)
THAT GOD DIRECTLY CREATED ALL THINGS (visible and invisible) out of nothing, by the word of His power, in the space of six normal days, and all very good and for His glory (Genesis 1:1; Hebrews 11:3; Exodus 20:11; John 1:3). Humans are created uniquely in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27). The earth is young, not millions or billions of years old. The great Flood of Genesis was an actual historic event, worldwide (global) in its extent and effect (Genesis 6-8).
IN THE REALITY AND PERSONALITY OF THE DEVIL, Satan, who is the adversary of God, His Word and the believer (I Peter 5:8).
• We believe he is destined for eternal punishment in the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:10)
• We do not believe that Satan or his demons can inhabit the body of one who is truly born again (2 Corinthians 6:16; 1 John 4:4).
IN THE NECESSITY OF BELIEVERS MAINTAINING GOOD WORKS and purity of life and doctrine. (Ephesians 2:10; Romans 6:1-4; 12:1-2; Titus 3:8).
IN THE ETERNAL SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER, that it is impossible for one born into the family of God ever to be lost (John 1:12; 10:27-29; Romans 8:28-39; Philippians 1:6; 1 John 5:10-13).
THAT SALVATION IS BY GRACE (unmerited favour) through faith, a free gift of God wholly apart from the deeds of the flesh, involving repentance and personal faith in Jesus Christ on the part of the sinner (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Acts 16:30-31; Romans 4:5; 2 Timothy 1:9).
IN THE PRIESTHOOD of all believers (I Peter 2:9).
IN THE TOTAL DEPRAVITY OF HUMAN NATURE as a result of the fall of man (Genesis 3) and the necessity of the new birth for salvation (2 Corinthians 5:17; John 3:3-7).
THAT THE SOUL IS INDESTRUCTIBLE (Revelation 20:10) and in the resurrection of the body (John 11:25-26) and in the continual consciousness of the soul after death (Luke 16:19-31).
IN THE EXISTENCE OF A LITERAL HEAVEN (John 14:2-3) and hell (Revelation 20:15) as the eternal abodes of the redeemed and lost respectively.
CONCERNING THE CHURCH:
• The church is the body of Christ, of which He is the living head, the members being all born again believers, Jew and Gentile alike (Ephesians 5:23-32; Matthew 16:18; Acts 2:1-47; Colossians 3:11).
• That the body of Christ is manifested in local assemblies of believers (Acts 2:41-47; Romans 16:16).Â
• That it is the responsibility of the local church to administer the ordinances of the church – baptism and the Lord’s supper (Acts 2:41-47).
THAT THERE ARE TWO ORDINANCES to be administered by the local church: baptism and the Lord’s supper (Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 22:19-20).
THAT BAPTISM IS TO BE A FULL IMMERSION upon public profession of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 8:36-38).
THAT THE LORD’S SUPPER IS TO BE OBSERVED frequently as a remembrance of the Lord’s death, and if possible using fresh grape juice and unleavened bread as the emblems of our Lord’s blood and body (1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
IN THE INDEPENDENCE OF THE LOCAL CHURCH from any other church, denomination, or the State (Acts 15:25-29).
IN THE SEPARATION OF THE LOCAL CHURCH from groups which are guilty of apostasy or heresy. For example, we have no part with the following movements:
• The World Council of Churches and affiliates
• Roman Catholicism (Galatians 1:8)
• The modern day Charismatic Movement (Titus 3:10-11)
• Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, Herbert W. Armstrong, and other cults (2 John 9-11)
IN THE PERSONAL SEPARATION OF BELIEVERS from associations, habits and amusements that dishonour God (2 Corinthians 6:14-18; 1 Corinthians 6:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:22).
THAT MARRIAGE IS A DIVINE INSTITUTION DEFINED ONCE-AND-FOR-ALL IN SCRIPTURE. It is not subject to political or cultural change. God created marriage to be a life-long commitment between one man and one woman (Genesis 2:18, Matthew 19:4-9). Therefore we do not recognise any supposed “same-sex marriage” as a form of marriage that conforms to God’s design. Neither will we perform, participate, or service any so-called “same-sex marriage.”